Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Some Good News


I've gotten some good news the last few days. I was looking for a ride to possibly leave trail and get to the Annual Recreation Workshop, ARW, in May. This is a conference I go to every year that I get to experience "leadership development, experiential learning, and spiritual renewal through recreation, worship, community, creativity, and arts." For those that know me, I love games. These can be big, small, active, or not active. Over the years, I have been able to learn multiple games which I have been able to use in Young Life, middle school ministry, and just sitting around with friends. You need a game; I got it or will figure something out. Oh and don't worry, I plan to pull some games out on trail, especially two of my favorites: Coffee Pot and Brain Fry! So back to the good news...Kris "Bubba" B., a good friend of mine who is the Youth Director at Brownson Memorial Presbyterian Church in Southern Pines, NC, has offered to give me a ride from Roanoke, VA to ARW. Plus, this is just in time to make it to the golf scramble where "Knickers" can make his annual appearance. I might as well look good playing golf, even if I don't play golf well. I did win closest to pin last year though. Thanks Bubba for offering to give me a ride. Hopefully I can make it to where you are in time, and that you don't mind someone who hasn't bathed in a few days riding with you. I look forward to a week of fun. Check out www.recreationworkshop.org or the FB page for more info on ARW.

Secondly, I woke up this morning to a good ole Facebook message. A few weeks ago I attended a clinic at REI on hiking the AT. It was here that I met Will R. He is from Richmond Hill, GA and actually lives right down the street from my brother. During the clinic, we learned that each of us had taken the same Wilderness First Responder course through NOLS at Landmark Learning in Cullowhee, NC. Landmark Learning is led by Justin Padgett who is a pretty remarkable guy. The learning experience was unbelievable and one of the coolest things I have done. It was definitely an intense 9 days of learning and real life scenarios. Props to Justin and his staff on an experience and guidance on becoming a First Responder. Hopefully, I will not have to use this out on the trail, but I will be prepared if I do. Sorry, I get carried away on giving people the recognition they deserve. Will's message this morning said that he was having to push back his start date to March 17th, as he originally planned on starting earlier in March. He asked if that was around my start time. Not only was it around my start time; it's the SAME FREAKIN' DAY! After a few messages back and forth, it looks like we are going to be able to start together. I look forward to this as well as gaining a new friend. (I will say one of the things I am looking forward to the most while on the trail is meeting the other people out there, finding out where they are in life, why they are doing this, who is going to lose their mind the quickest, etc. I actually hope no one losses their mind, including myself.) Will, I am looking forward to it and glad to have another WFR hiking with me. See you in a few weeks.

Here's a pic of my WFR class and instructors. If any of y'all want to join me out on the trail or just meet up, shoot me an email or leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. That is excellent that you will have someone to hike with. I hope you guys can stay together for as long as possible. I dont want anything to happen to my Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you want me to bring you anything when I come to ARW.

    ReplyDelete