Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Through HIS Feet

So my blog is titled Through HIS Feet. With His feet, Jesus walked around spreading the good news. In Matthew it says, "Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness." I am by no means Jesus, duh, but He has given me the joy and opportunity to spend the next 5 or 6 months using my feet to do something. As I mentioned in my first post, I hope that some of you find this journey as a way to take your first step in trying something new or something that you have been putting off. For those of you who take this challenge or decide not to, I have decided that there is still something else you can do. You can donate money to charity. No, this is not the Brian fund or something crazy like that. I mean, you can always give me money but that is not what I want you to do. Perhaps you already donate your time or money to a charity, and if so, I commend you. I have set a goal to raise $100,000, but there is a catch. I am asking you to pledge to a charity of your choice, but I do ask that your charity somehow relate to kids of high school age or younger. You will pledge an amount based on the number of miles I hike. For example, you can pledge only $0.01 per mile. When I complete the entire trail, then you will donate your $21.76 (approximate 2,176 miles x $0.01 per mile) to your charity. I would love for you to donate more per mile, but I will leave that up to you. None of your donation will come to me or go through me. Your donation will be based on your pledge, and I hope and expect you to follow through with it when I am finished hiking.

Once you decide on the amount you want to pledge and choose your charity, please fill out the Charity Info Form. I would like to learn more about your charity and even why you chose that charity. You may also post a comment so others can learn about your charity. My plan is to keep a list of all the charities somewhere on the blog so others can get more information about it and maybe even choose it as one of theirs. In your email to me, I ask that you also include your charity, maybe why you chose it, the amount per mile you are pledging, and your contact information. I will use the amount as well as the number of miles I have hiked to keep a record of the amount of money pledged. I will keep your personal info anonymous, and will only post your name if you give me permission. I would also like to have a way to contact you to personally thank you for your pledge.

I will be the first to pledge an amount. I am going to choose 4 separate charities and pledge $0.25 per mile for each of those. I will have a separate post giving the charity names and info about them. Assuming, I complete the whole trail, I am already at 2% of my goal. Now I just need your help with the other 98%.

Again, I am only asking that you choose something related to kids high school age or younger. Other than that, I don't care if it is religious based, associated with a camp, providing medical research, giving someone educational support (paying for you kid's private school or future college doesn't count), located in your city or even abroad, etc. I just ask that it is related to kids. I look forward to hearing about some charities and seeing some pledges. Help me surpass this goal of $100,000!

1 comment:

  1. What a cool idea, Brian! I'm going to do this and will post to my facebook as well.

    ReplyDelete