Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

So it begins...

Some time back in 2007 I was sitting at my desk working on an audit when it hit me. Why not hike the Appalachian Trail? It had been somewhat of an afterthought for awhile, and I figured this would be something I would enjoy as I have always been someone who has enjoyed the outdoors. I told some co-workers about doing it, and they gave me a quick laugh and went back to what they were doing. The real thought of actually doing it lasted for a little bit and then quickly fizzled away almost as quickly as it came about. Then in 2008 I switched from our Audit practice and into our Forensic practice. At the time, the consulting business was pretty slow. It gave me a lot of time to reflect on things in life which led to me thinking about hiking again. I figured if I was going to take time off then it would be the following summer. I started looking around the internet for blogs and people's videos on YouTube. That is when I came across a video of a couple, Joe and Melissa. The video was of Melissa trying to throw a rope over tree limb in order to hang a bear bag. I got a good laugh out of it. It also made me realize that there are some things that seem to be easy but can be really hard and frustrating. After watching the video I saw the link to the Wisley's blog of their journey on the AT. I started to follow their blog depicting why they chose to hike and their journey of faith while hiking. The more and more I read, I realized that if I was going to ever hike the trail then I might as well do it soon. I began talking with Justin, my Management Leader, about it. He was very supportive and told me of how he wished he would have taken the time early in his career to do the things he had dreamed of. Then one day an email came out offering employees sabbatical time. I instantly got the email forwarded to me by Justin saying I had to sign up. So I did.

Now I am here 4 weeks out from my start date. I will be starting on March 17th and spending the next 5 to 6 months walking from Georgia to Maine. Yes Maine, some 2,175 or so miles away. I hope to have you join me along the way, via this blog. This blog will be my main means of communicating with each of you and providing details of this adventure. I can't guarantee that I will keep you entertained, but hopefully I will be able to open you eyes to do things in life that you have been putting off. We can all be young at heart, and sometimes we just have to take that first step and go do it. I will do my best to update the blog as often as possible. However, I might lose my mind before then and will only be saying "tree, tree, tree, bird, tree, bear, tree..." In the days leading up to the start, I'll try to give you updates on my training and FAQs about the trail. Feel free to always ask questions or leave comments. I'll do my best to give you an answer.

Until then, I welcome you as you walk with me on my journey.

4 comments:

  1. Brian, here is a note I sent to Stuart, Drew and Allan today. I would love to join you. Let me know your tentative schedule - all good wishes on your journey! You go! Best, Tweedie

    Hey, guys, here is our chance to make my dream come true to spend a day on the AT with the three of you. When will Brian get to near Blacksburg, VA? Tillie's cabin is in Pearisburg and her grandaughter Neville lives there now and runs a hostel for through hikers just as Tillie did all those years. She would welcome us with open arms and we could meet Brian for a spell on the trail. Whatcha think? or doesn't the AT cross at Cumberland Gap in the Smokies? I assume he is starting on Springer Mtn. This is SO exciting - what an ambitious undertaking for Brian - WTG! Let me know your thoughts ASAP so we can plan and coordinate with Brian before he departs. Love, M

    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4850633/k.9733/Interactive_Map.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, this is ny note to the guys this AM. Good luck in all and I hope to see you soon.

    Hey, guys, here is our chance to make my dream come true to spend a day on the AT with the three of you. When will Brian get to near Blacksburg, VA? Tillie's cabin is in Pearisburg and her grandaughter Neville lives there now and runs a hostel for through hikers just as Tillie did all those years. She would welcome us with open arms and we could meet Brian for a spell on the trail. Whatcha think? or doesn't the AT cross at Cumberland Gap in the Smokies? I assume he is starting on Springer Mtn. This is SO exciting - what an ambitious undertaking for Brian - WTG! Let me know your thoughts ASAP so we can plan and coordinate with Brian before he departs. Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I meant Newfound Gap. Still no reply from S, D, or A. Will you have a tentative trek tracker for your progress before you depart? T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tweetie, I think that sounds like a very cool idea of you doing that with the boys. I have been talking with Stuart about meeting up the very first weekend too around Blood Mountain. It would be wonderful if all of y'all could meet me somewhere. Granted I have a very tentative schedule, I should be get to Pearisburg around April 25th or 27th. Weather and fatigue will be the deciding factor. I will get with you and Stuart to discuss more. Newfound Gap/Gatlinburg is on/near the AT. I should be there around April 2nd.

    ReplyDelete