Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

July 21 - 14.0 / 1,845.2

I think the guy that I was not too fond of to begin with woke me up at least four times due to going to the rest room. I couldn't believe it. I think he made as much noise as he could. I was wide awake by 5:30 when the croo started cooking breakfast. It smelled real good. Again, we had to wait for the guests to finish breakfast before we could eat. Breakfast was pancakes and oatmeal.

Lola and Sunrise left after breakfast as they washed dishes the night before. Samurai had to sweep the bunk rooms and fold blankets. I helped him so we could get out of there quicker. I found a fleece vest which belonged to an older couple that had already left. I felt bad cause I figured it was theirs, but I didn't want to hike it out not knowing for sure. I saw the further down the trail, and they confirmed it.

The only major climb of the day was first thing in the morning. It was a 1,100 foot climb in 0.8 of a mile. the hike after the climb was wonderful. We followed a ridgeline for some time and descended into Zealand Falls Hut. The hut had a great view of a valley and had a waterfall just through the trees. Some of the people staying at the hut were sun bathing and enjoying the water. Lola and Sunrise were at the hut when we arrived. We joined them for soup and lunch at the hut. Huts offer soup and drinks for lunch.

Sam and I left the hut with 8 miles to go. Two miles in, we started to hear thunder. Then the thunder got closer and the rain started. Neither of us wanted to get wet nor did we want to set up a tent in the rain. So we decided to hike 3 miles to the nearest shelter. I felt as if the storm was right over top of us for those miles. We made it to the shelter to find Lola and Sunrise had made the same decision. Also there was the "section" hiker from the night before. The rain let up and Lola and Sun hiked on. Soon after, Longshanks arrived. It was the first time I had seen him since Pennsylvania. He said that he had been trying to catch up with us. I told him he just missed the other two and told him where they were planning to stealth camp for the evening. He was excited to know he was right behind them. He too hiked on. Sam and I ended up not hiking out which turned out to be a good decision. The wind and rain got stronger. We had to pay to stay in the shelter which sucked, but at least I was warm and somewhat dry.

My friend too decided to stay. The caretaker wanted us to cook in the designated area away from the shelter since the area was having a bear problem. I told my section hiker friend, and he just grumbled about it. I don't know if that is even a word. He eventually walked to go find the cooking/eating area. He returned saying that it was not covered; therefore, he was going to eat in the shelter. Shortly after, I went in search of the cook area and easily found it, tarp covered area and all. I went back and told Sam. I made sure to say it loud enough that I had found it and that it was covered by a tarp just so they guy would hear me.

Sam and I cooked and ate while in rained. Also there was a group of high school kids out for 20 days. They were taking a trip guiding course in which they learn to lead outdoor trips. It sounded really interesting. We talked to them for most of dinner. We even scored some of their leftover food. I joked with the male leader of their trip. He tried a SOBO hike a few years back but didn't complete it. I kept giving him a hard time, and he returned the favor.

The shelter was a little cool. However, I felt cozy in my winter bag. Good thing I got it back a few days ago. Sleep time.

No comments:

Post a Comment