Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

August 1 - 13.5 / 1,991.3

I was woken up by people talking at 5 am. I guess that is what I get for setting my tent up near the shelter. I was in and out sleep for the next hour. It was definitely a morning in which I didn't want to get out of my sleeping bag. Weird for a town day too as usually I am up, going, and trying to get to town as quick as possible.

Almost everyone was gone by the time Samurai and I left camp. Right out of camp, we had a climb that went up pretty quickly. The decent was even steeper. My knees are getting banged around from the downhills so I wasn't too pleased with this one. Plus, it was loose gravel at points and that just made it more difficult. The two of us made it to the bottom of the decent in one piece. We decided a break and an early lunch was needed. The setting was a nice river and large rocks. Monkey caught up to us, ate a snack, and moved on. After our break, we climbed up and over South and North Crocker. I caught up to Monkey on top of South Crocker, but he did stick around. I told Samurai I would wait for him at the top so I decided to go and check out a side trail going to a viewpoint. It wasn't too much of a view at all. I could only see the top of another mountain and a few ski runs. I briefly spoke with a couple while there. They were impressed by my distance so far, but the woman reminded me of what was to come. I kinda just gave her a laugh.

Sam and I hiked the last 6+ miles down to the road for Stratton. Again, I didn't think my knees were going to make it. I got to the road and was taken back to find Ringleader, Lightning, Felo, Riverdog, and a SOBO all just sitting beside the road. Some had been there for over an hour trying to hitch. Felo said that the lady running the hostel in town was on her way. She showed up in a Land Cruiser and had her dog with her. I believe the dog was just there to take up space. It was a poodle and looked just like the lady. Or maybe the lady looked like the dog. Either way, I got a kick out of it. The lady thought that she was going to get seven of us in there with all or gear too. I asked if she would come back and pick up Sam, RD, and myself. She responded by saying she was going to charge us for mileage. I told her that was fine since we really didn't have another option.

The three of us waited as the rest drove off. Sonic and Monkey showed up in the mean time. The lady returned, and the five of us all piled in. Again, she had the dog. Once in town, Sonic, RD, Sam, and I went to the only place open for lunch/dinner. This town didn't even have a stop sign and the gas station is only open when the owner feels like being there. Anyway, the four of us grabbed a bite to eat. I was sitting there and mentioned how it would be funny if the one grocery closed early on a Sunday. Someone pulled out their trail guided and noted the store closed at 5. It was now 5:03. Samurai ran across the street to verify. Yes, it was now closed. My plan was to resupply, get back to the trail, and hike two miles to a camp ground. That plan was now going to change.

Sonic was already going to stay in town so the three of us joined him. We got a room at the place we were eating. We were told the room had a flat screen. It did, but the lady failed to mention it was a 14 inch television. We had no other choice though. The good thing about being in town is that I got a shower and was sleeping in a real bed. I would probably still prefer my air pad and sleeping bag to most beds. This room was nice though. I spent the next few hours relaxing. I made a few phone calls, and we split some drinks. If you were wondering, I did get a pint of ice cream from a store next door. Cherry Garcia hit the spot.

I was talking with my friend Manoj when I saw a car drive by. The whole front windshield was smashed in. I was almost certain it had just hit a moose. It was a sight to see.

I wanted to get to bed early. However, it was midnight before I finally turned out the lights and television. Maybe I will have better luck getting out of town the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment