Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

August 4 - 18.7 / 2,042.6

I slept in the rain and woke up in the rain. This was one of the few times this entire trip where I had to pack my tent in the rain. It was an early morning as I had to hike 0.4 miles up the trail for breakfast at Harrisons Pierce Pond Camps. This breakfast was a must. It was 12 "patriotic" pancakes, sausage, eggs, juice, and coffee. This type of breakfast has been going on for over 25 years for hikers. Patriotic is due to the apples, raspberries, and blueberries in the pancakes. At breakfast, I met Yogi and Moontime. They are a young SOBO couple from Birmingham. I passed my info on to them and told them to call me once they finished. I'll take them out to celebrate.

Breakfast was late getting started so I didn't make it on the trail until after 9. I had to rush up the trail in order to make it to the Kennebec River. This is the one place on the trail where you have to take a canoe across. A volunteer ferries hikers across all summer, but only during certain parts of the day. I made it with about 30 minutes to spare.

After the river, I dropped my pack and rain into the next town. I had to make it to the post office to pick up my bowtie. I had been bouncing it forward after I accidentally put it in one of my mail packages.

I dragged on the remainder of the day. Merf, who I had just met a few days earlier, joined Sam and I for the rest of the day. The plan was to hike 22 miles, but we were all too exhausted. Plus, it was getting late. We cut the day 4 miles short. That was nice, but it makes the next day 4 miles longer. Again, I went to bed listening to the thunder coming in.

I was hoping Sonic and Riverdog had stopped too. However, they had pushed on. Hopefully they will be in town tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment