Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

July 31 - 18.7 / 1,977.8

Bob gave Sam and I a ride back to the trail around 9. Hollywood was also with us. He carries this long stick as his trekking pole. I asked why he doesn't stash it in the woods instead of trying to get it in the car with him. He said it wasn't a problem. Then, two minutes later he struggles to get it in the car with him. Ahh, this is one guy on the trail who frustrates me.

Sam and I stopped two miles in at the first shelter to visit the privy. I met the ridgerunner who had hiked a few days with Lint on the PCT last year. Lint was planning to hang out with the guy this year, but the ridgerunner wasn't working when Lint hiked by. The shelter was also close to the 90 percent mark for miles. I can't believe I am getting this close to the end.

RD caught up to Sam and I while we were snacking on top of Sattleback Mtn. The three of us hiked together for the rest of the day. As we were climbing down Sattleback and The Horn, we could hear two girls arguing. We were over a quarter of a mile away and could hear every word of their argument. It ended up being Ringleader and Lightning. I guess they haven't been getting along for some time now.

After passing the girls, we climbed Sattleback Junior. We got our first glimpse of Katahdin some 150 miles away as the crow flies. It was cool to see it, but still just a little bump on the horizon. We cruised the rest of the day and made good timing into the shelter. It was nice to eat dinner and get in my tent at a reasonable time.

Lightning decided to hike on. Once Ringleader found out about an hour or two later, she too hiked out in search of her. I can't believe they are arguing this close to the end of their trip.

1 comment:

  1. When are you anticipating finishing up? Still Aug 10? I'm so excited for you! Keep it up, I'm sure it is tough but only a little longer. How many people can say they actually got to finish a life long dream...not many but you can!

    ReplyDelete