Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Kennesaw Mountain

Michelle and I went out to Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park today and yesterday. It was our first time to go out there. The Park allows visitors to see the history of the Civil War and the Atlanta Campaign which took place during June and July, 1864. Along the trails, visitors can see trenches in which the Confederate soldiers hid as well as the strategic cannon positions poised to take on attackers from the North. Yesterday we hiked roughly a 5.5 mile loop from the Visitor's Center to Burnt Hickory Road and back. This hike took us over Kennesaw Mountain, Little Kennesaw Mountain, and Pigeon Hill. Kennesaw Mountain climbs 1,000 feet in a mile. I would like to say that it was easy to make it up, but that would be a lie. Ahhhh, only the things to come on the trail. During the hike, we met a couple and two ladies (Marjorie and Patty). I regret not getting the couple's names, but the guy said he had hiked a few mountains and one day wanted to hike the AT. Maybe he'll read this and come join me for a day or two. Michelle and I spoke with Marjorie and Patty for awhile while on the trail and then again when they were turning around at Burnt Hickory Rd. It was a joy talking to them and like most people they have quite a few questions about the trail. They would ask a question and next thing I know, I would go rambling on and on. I enjoy talking about the trail, and it gets me really excited. I left them with my blog, and I hope they get a chance to follow me as I go.

Today, Michelle and I went back and hiked the loop from Burnt Hickory Road to Kolb's Farm. The total trip was around 11 miles. The trail went over Cheatham Hill and through a few of the battle fields. It was the longest hike I have done in a while. I definitely came home with a few blisters. I'd rather go ahead and get them now to help them callus up. However, I'll get plenty of them along the way no matter if I already have blisters or calluses.

For those that haven't figured it out already, my feet are going to get torn up. I've heard from multiple people that I should expect to have my toenails fall out at least once and maybe multiple times as well as expecting my feet to grow a shoe size (due to arches flattening out). Oh, don't worry, I'll send pictures along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment